Mental Health and Addictions Supports
Below is a list of contact information for mental health and addiction agencies and distress lines, which provide support to individuals experiencing mental health problems. Call to ask for more information or help if you have problems with depression, anxiety, eating disorders, substance abuse issues, or other mental health problems.
Some signs and symptoms of common mental health and addiction concerns to be alert to include:
- Feelings of sadness that last longer than 2 weeks
- Loss of interest or pleasure in normal activities
- Changes in sleep patterns – either sleeping more or less than one’s normal
- Slowed thinking, speaking or body movements
- Thoughts of suicide
- Frequent worrying
- Difficulty concentrating
- Muscle tension
- Difficulty sleeping
- Refusal to eat and denial of hunger (anorexia nervosa)
- Intense fear of gaining weight (anorexia nervosa)
- Wearing baggy clothing (anorexia nervosa)
- Swollen salivary glands in the cheeks (bulimia nervosa)
- Sores in the mouth or on the knuckles from purging (bulimia nervosa)
- Eating quickly and in secret (binge eating disorder)
- Impaired coordination
- Bloodshot eyes, pupils larger or smaller than usual
- Unexplained need for money
- Sudden change in peer group affiliations
- Withdrawal symptoms such as moodiness, cravings, shakiness, sweating and nausea
Kids Help Phone
Kids Help Phone is Canada’s only 24/7, national support service. They offer professional counselling, information and referrals and volunteer-led, text-based support to young people in both English and French.
Whether by phone, text, mobile app or through our website, you can connect with them whenever you want, however you want.
Here are the ways you can reach out to Kids Help Phone now:
Here are some other resources you can use to find support:
- Resources Around Me
- Good2Talk – for post-secondary students in Ontario & Nova Scotia
Kids Help Phone is always there for you. No matter what you want to talk about, they are there to listen. No judgment, totally private, 24/7.