Call to Action for Our School Communities
Due to the increase in various illnesses throughout our communities and the unprecedented demands on the healthcare system, especially children’s hospitals, the Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit and the Eastern Ontario Health Unit are urging everybody to do their part by incorporating the following layers of protection to support a safe and healthy school community:
- Stay home when you are sick
- Complete the COVID-19 School and Child Care Screening Tool and follow the next steps that are provided at the end of the screening tool.
- Be honest about your symptoms and if they have the potential to infect others (remember a simple cold to you may be serious to those most vulnerable) – symptoms for all respiratory viruses are similar.
- Consult the following the document, from the Ontario College of Family Physicians, for tips on how to decide when to seek care for a respiratory illness and how to support your child at home.
- Wear a well fitted mask indoors (including in schools and on school vehicles), and around those most vulnerable (many of them may not be able to wear or tolerate masks) or in crowded public places:
- View the following videos for tips on How to Use a Disposable Mask or Face Covering and How to Safely Use Reusable Cloth Masks and Face Coverings.
- Practice proper hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water (rub hands together under water for 15-20 seconds), or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with your arm, not your hand
- Get the COVID-19 and flu vaccines and keep up to date with recommended vaccine doses. Vaccines are safe, effective and the best way to protect children and those around them.
Where to get a vaccine:
- COVID-19 Vaccine
- In Leeds, Grenville & Lanark Region: Book an appointment using the online booking portal or call the Vaccine Call Centre at 1-844-369-1234 Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:00pm.
- In Stormont, Dundas, and Glengarry (SDG), Prescott-Russell (P-R), and the City of Cornwall: Consult How and Where to Get a COVID-19 Vaccine or call 1-800-267-7120.
- Flu Vaccine
- The flu shot is available at various locations through healthcare providers, community health centres, and participating pharmacies.
- In Leeds, Grenville & Lanark Region: Consult the Influenza Vaccine page
- In Stormont, Dundas, and Glengarry (SDG), Prescott-Russell (P-R), and the City of Cornwall: Consult Flu Season is Near… Now’s the Time to Get Your Flu Shot!
For more information, please visit our websites https://healthunit.org/health-information/covid-19/ and https://eohu.ca/en/covid/schools.
Thank you for your continued support in keeping our school communities safe and healthy.
School Health Teams
Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit and Eastern Ontario Health Unit