Specialist High Skills Major
Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) is a Ministry-approved specialized program that allows students in grades 11 and 12 to focus their learning on a specific economic sector while meeting the requirements to graduate from high school with an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). It also assists them in the transition after graduation to apprenticeship training, college, university, or the workplace.
Pursuing a Specialist High Skills Major enables students to:
- customize their secondary school education to suit their interests and talents;
- develop specialized knowledge and skills;
- gain sector-recognized certification and career-relevant training;
- earn credits that the sector and post-secondary educational institutions recognize;
- develop essential skills and work habits documented through an Ontario Skills Passport;
- identify, explore and refine career goals and make informed decisions about their future; and,
- remain flexible, with the option to shift between pathways should their goals or plans change.
Specialist High Skills Major Course Offerings
The following SHSM courses are currently available to Grade 11 & 12 students during the 2022-2023 school year.
|Holy Trinity CSS, Cornwall||Agriculture; Health & Wellness; Arts & Culture|
|Notre Dame CHS, Carleton Place||Construction; Health & Wellness|
|St. Francis Xavier CHS, Hammond||Hospitality & Tourism; Transportation; Health & Wellness|
|St. John CHS, Perth||Health & Wellness; Hospitality & Tourism, Construction|
|St. Joseph CSS, Cornwall||Business; Transportation; Hospitality & Tourism; Arts & Culture|
|St. Luke CHS, Smiths Falls||Construction; Hospitality & Tourism|
|St. Mary CHS, Brockville||Arts & Culture; Health & Wellness|
|St. Matthew CSS, Cornwall||Construction; Hospitality & Tourism|
|St. Michael CHS, Kemptville||Environment; Hospitality & Tourism; Health & Wellness|
|St. Thomas Aquinas CHS, Russell||Environment; Health & Wellness|
For specifics and more information, please contact your high school guidance department. Please click here for a list of schools and their contact information.