CDSBEO Celebrates Catholic Education Week May 1-6
During the week of May 1 to May 6, 2022, the CDSBEO will celebrate the significant contribution that Catholic education has made to the community, the province and to Canada. Our Catholic Graduate Expectations challenge students to articulate in society those fundamental values that underpin Catholic education.
The theme for this year’s Catholic Education Week is: Catholic Education: Rebuild, Restore, Renew Together
The theme for Catholic Education Week 2022 was inspired by the following considerations:
- In the face of the continuing reality of the COVID-19 pandemic, a strong desire by the planning committee, and supported by feedback from the survey, the themes for Catholic Education Weeks 2020 and 2021, were Igniting Hope and Nurturing Hope, and all we know for certain is that there will be much to Rebuild, Restore and Renew together in 2022.
- The recent challenges to personal and spiritual well-being makes the timing and the concerns of Mental Health Week, which takes place during the same week as Catholic Education Week, particularly relevant.
- Ongoing recognition of the Truth & Reconciliation Commission and the relevance of Indigenous culture and spirituality will continue to move us forward.
- The Ministry of Education’s focus on Inclusion and Equity resonates with all educators and administrators as we desire to serve all of God’s children and Pope Francis’ encyclical entitled, Fratelli Tutti, will guide us in this good work.
There are five sub-themes, one for each day of Catholic Education Week and they are aimed at helping staff and students to reflect more fully on what Rebuilding, Restoring, Renewing Together means to them. The five sub-themes are:
Day 1: Rediscover / Redécouvrir
Day 2: Rebuild / Rebâtir
Day 3: Restore / Rétablir
Day 4: Renew / Renouveler
Day 5: Rejoice / Se réjouir
Catholic Education Week is marked by special activities at all grade levels, including prayer celebrations and service activities. The CDSBEO will be hosting the following board-wide events:
- May 3 – Board-wide Virtual Mass for Catholic Education Week
- May 4 – Indigenous Education Day
- May 5 – Virtual keynote speaker Peter Katz for all grade 7-12 students (social justice theme)