Pupil Accommodation Review
In March 2015, the Ministry of Education released the new Pupil Accommodation Guideline. The guideline required all school boards in Ontario to develop or revise their Pupil Accommodation Review policy. The Pupil Accommodation Review Guideline sets expectations for all school boards on managing and reviewing underutilized school space, including potential school closures, and for the greater coordination and sharing of planning related information between school boards and other community partners.
In response to the requirements outlined in the Pupil Accommodation Review Guideline, the Catholic District School Board of Eastern Ontario approved its current amended Policy C8: Pupil Accommodation Review on October 20, 2015 along with a corresponding Administrative Procedure C8:1.
Commencement of the Cornwall Area Pupil Accommodation Review
The Catholic District School Board of Eastern Ontario is committed to providing quality education to students through programs and facilities that support academic achievement and well-being and to ensuing effective stewardship of the resources of the Board. In accordance with Policy C8: Pupil Accommodation Review, all facilities of the Board are part of an on-going review to identify the most effective pupil accommodation review arrangements for the delivery of all elementary and secondary programs.
The Cornwall Area has been identified as being under capacity in 2015-16 with forecasted continued enrolment decline in the coming years, necessitating a Pupil Accommodation Review.
At the Regular Board Meeting on October 4, 2016, the Board of Trustees approved the commencement of the Cornwall Area Pupil Accommodation Review Process.
The schools that make up the Cornwall Area Review are as follows:
- Bishop Macdonell
- Holy Trinity
- Immaculate Conception
- Sacred Heart
- St. Anne
- St. Columban’s
- St. Peter
- St. Joseph CSS
- St. Matthew CSS
The inclusion of the above-noted schools in an accommodation review process does not mean that it will close. Accommodation reviews are designed to look at a grouping of schools to determine the best solution for everyone involved in the process. While the initial staff report may contain a proposed option that impacts these schools, the final decision by the Board to move forward with a recommendation will not take place until after the consultation period.
Parents and guardians are encouraged to review the following documents to gain a better understanding of the Pupil Accommodation Review Process and how they can provide their feedback and input.
- Appendix 1 – Initial Staff Report to the Board – October 4, 2016
- Appendix 2 – Current Cornwall Attendance Boundary Map
- Appendix 3 – Proposed Cornwall Attendance Boundary Map – Staff Preferred Option
- School Information Profiles:
- Policy Information
- Ministry Letter, February 2016 – Pupil Accommodation Review Guide
- Ministry Memo 2016:B01 Guide to Pupil Accommodation Reviews
- Ministry of Education, Guide to Pupil Accommodation Reviews
- Ministry of Education, March 2015 – Pupil Accommodation Review Guideline
- Ministry of Education – Administrative Review of Accommodation Review Process
- Pupil Accommodation Review FAQs
- School Board Efficiencies and Modernization – Consultation Summary
Important Dates and Documents
- Tuesday, October 4, 2016 – Board approved the commencement of a Pupil Accommodation Review for the Cornwall area:
- Wednesday, October 26, 2016 – 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 9, 2016 – 6:30 p.m. Accommodation Review Committee (ARC)
Working Meeting #1 – St. Joseph CSS, 1500a Cumberland St., Cornwall – Library
- Monday, November 21, 2016 – 9:30 a.m. Meeting with City of Cornwall
St. Joseph’s CSS. 1500a Cumberland St., Cornwall – Library
- Wednesday, November 30, 2016 – 6:30 p.m. Public Meeting #1
St. Joseph’s CSS, 1500a Cumberland St., Cornwall – Cafeteria
- Wednesday, December 7, 2016 – 6:30 p.m. Accommodation Review Committee (ARC)
Working Meeting #2 – St. Joseph’s CSS, 1500a Cumberland St., Cornwall – Library
- Wednesday, January 18, 2017 – 6:30 p.m. Accommodation Review Committee (ARC)
Working Meeting #3 – St. Joseph’s CSS, 1500a Cumberland St., Cornwall
- Wednesday, February 15, 2017 – 6:30 p.m. Public Meeting #2
St. Joseph CSS, 1500a Cumberland St., Cornwall – Cafeteria
*Future Dates TBA
Public consultation is at the heart of the accommodation review process. Two public meetings are to be held by the Accommodation Review Committee, as well as a number of additional working group meetings. The goal is to engage a wide range of school and community groups to participate in the consultation in order to gather feedback on the proposed accommodation options, developed by staff, to present to the Board of Trustees for their consideration. Committee members include principals, parents, and Board planning staff.
For more information please contact us at: